The House named Harmans Corner is situated at the corner of Borden Lane and The Street. Continuous habitation is documented from 1650 but there is evidence that there was a building there before that date. For much of this time the house was occupied by the Tidy family, including Alfred Tidy who served as Churchwarden. Indeed a W Tidy signed the wallpaper in the kitchen in July 1848! The records of 1651 show that the property had five hearths. The hearth in the present dining room had apparently been used as a bread oven. Bottles have been found in the garden and a grinding stone, long forgotten, over the old back door.
The original structure has been extended by previous owners but the changes have been carried out in such a way as to retain the charm of the building, whilst adding to its functionality. Interestingly over the centuries doors have been sealed up but their outline is still discernable.
The oak beams, though functional, add immensely to the attractiveness of the interior.
Both upstairs and downstairs it is possible to walk into each room and arrive back at one’s starting point via interconnecting door without reversing direction. The floors are made of a range of materials: flag; brick and wood are used. The weatherboard exterior though in excellent condition and freshly painted must have looked very similar over the centuries. Not surprisingly, Frith in his photographic tours of Britain included a picture of Harmans Corner.
A current extension to the building tastefully tones in with the historic “culture” of the home. The present owners are adding twenty first century living features but lovingly retaining the historic aspects of the house.